Is there anything better than a messy, gooey, melty quesadilla? YES, a messy, gooey, melty, plant based quesadilla! This vegan version hits the nail on the head and takes less than 30 minutes to make!
We are HUGE Mexican food lovers. I mean, who isn’t?? When we decided to cut out all dairy from our diet I honestly grieved the thought of loosing my beloved quesadilla! It was a quick and easy lunch that I could whip up for the girls and I, and it never disappointed. We always threw in tons of veggies to make it “healthy!”, but lets be honest…it was always about that cheese!
So I made it my mission to create another version of the dish that wouldn’t turn out to be a tasteless, underwhelming imposter! I’ve realized through our plant based experimenting, that I am not a big fan of processed ‘cheese’ alternatives. Like, what is it anyways?! All I know, is that it doesn’t compare to the real thing and it definitely has that “underwhelming imposter” thing going on. I feel better knowing exactly what ingredients are going into our bodies by making a ‘cheese’ sauce myself. And frankly, it tastes better to!
Its all about the layers in this simple dish. The tortilla goes down in the pan first, followed by a layer of the cashew cream. (make sure you add the nutritional yeast in to this recipe for that cheesy delish!) Then a layer of fresh chopped kale, some savory black beans and another layer of cashew cream to hold it all together. Top it with another corn tortilla and you are ready to give it a flip. The kale perfectly wilts as the second side is cooked till crunchy, and all the cashew cream melts into every layer.
Garnish with fresh sliced jalapeños + cilantro and you are ready to chow down!
This dish is crunchy, melty, spicy, savory and doesn’t leave you feeling heavy or weighed down. Our girls go crazy over this dish + so do we! Its a great way to get greens into those little picky eaters, not to mention black beans are actually an incredible source of plant based protein.
My mouth is watering just thinking about it! So enough talk – let’s make this dish!
- 1 cup black beans
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped kale
- ½ cup cashew sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- ½ tsp olive or coconut oil
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 stem of cilantro
- On medium heat, warm the black beans and season with cumin, coriander and salt. Cook till warmed through. Remove from heat.
- In a pan on medium heat, add the oil.
- Take one corn tortilla and spread a thick layer of cashew sauce in the center. Then place, face up, into the hot, oiled pan.
- Add a layer of chopped kale on top of the cashew cream.
- Add a layer of the black beans on top of the kale.
- Drizzle another layer of cashew cream over the beans and top with another corn tortilla. At this point, your quesadilla will be ready to be flipped over.
- Carefully flip with a spatula and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish with freshly sliced jalapeños and cilantro. Serve immediately.
If you try this recipe, let me know by leaving a comment or rate it below + don’t forget to take a photo + tag it with #TygerEats on Instagram! Last, but not least, for easy reference of this recipe, Pin it!